- Ask me, if you like, to choose what I con sider the ten best photographs I have pro duced until now, and here is my reply:
- An acci den tal snap shot of a shadow between two other care fully posed pic tures of a girl in a bathing suit.
- A close-up of an ant colony trans ported to the lab o ra tory, and illu mi nated by a flash.
- A twilight pic ture of the Empire State Build ing com pletely emptied of its tenants.
- A girl in neg ligee attire, call ing for help or merely attract ing attention.
- A black and white print obtained by plac ing a fun nel into the tray of devel op ing liq uid, and turn ing the light onto the sub merged paper.
- A dying leaf, its curled end des per ately claw ing the air.
- A close-up of an eye with the lashes well made up, a glass tear rest ing on the cheek.
- Frozen fire works on the night of a 14th of July in Paris.
- Photograph of a paint ing called, “The rope dancer accom pa nies her self with her shad ows. Man Ray 1916.”
- Photograph of a bro ken chair car ried home from Grif fith Park, Hol ly wood, at one of its bro ken legs the slip pers of Anna Pavlova.
- Do you doubt my sin cer ity? Really, if you imag ine that I value your opin ion enough to waste two min utes of my pre cious time try ing to con vince you, you are entirely mistaken.
— man ray, from the essay Photography Is Not Art, 1943